Sometimes I think plant based recipes can be so daunting. Many require sophisticated processes and super funky ingredients. Where on earth do you get that spirulina, chia seed or nutritional yeast? The truth is, of course it is great to experiment with new superfood ingredients but a plant based diet doesn’t HAVE to include them.
This is my favourite staple meal. It couldn’t be easier, super quick to make and costs almost nothing! You can fancy it up of course with tacos, guacamole and salsa but a plain old bowl of rice with a dollop of this beauty on top is enough to make anyone happy.
Dash of rapeseed oil
2 white onions
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes or powder
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Tin of black beans or kidney beans
10 cherry tomatoes
Salt to taste
- Chop the onions and fry gently for 3 minutes, add the garlic, herbs and spices
- Fry for a further 2 minutes and then add the chopped tomatoes
- Add the beans and a little water and cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Add salt to taste and serve with rice
I love this even more the next day when all the flavours have mingled together. It’s great in a jacket potato with salad on the side. If you find a more simple recipe, let me know!!!