You know that autumn is on the way when you wake up thinking about cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake and how it can be veganised. I’ve made a version of it before using my cheeze sauce recipe but I fancied trying a white sauce technique this time with flour and oat milk.
So comforting and creamy I like it with salad with a big squeeze of lemon juice. You can also add new potatoes to the dish instead of serving it with roast spuds. This reduces the fat content and will give you a one pot dish, even easier!
2 tbsp vegan butter (I use ‘Pure’)
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp bullion powder or 1 veg stock cube
½ tsp each of turmeric, garlic powder
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
50g nutritional yeast
big handful of flat leaf parsley
½ medium cauliflower and the same amount of broccoli
10 new potatoes or 5 maris pipers
10 cherry tomatoes
- Slice the leeks and add to a pan with the vegan butter and a little salt
- Fry until soft, add the flour and stir continuously for 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and slowly add enough oat milk to make a cheese sauce like consistency
- Add the stock, turmeric, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and yeast and warm through gently.
- Remove and set aside
- If serving with roast potatoes peel and boil these until fluffy and shake into an oven proof dish with rapeseed oil
- If using new potatoes, quarter them boil them in a large pan for 5 minutes, add the cauliflower and boil for a further minute, then add the broccoli for another minute and drain
- Chop the broccoli and add to the sauce
- Take an ovenproof dish and cover the bottom with a single layer of the cauliflower mix and then pour over half the sauce
- Dot around the cherry tomatoes, cover with the rest of the veg and finally the rest of the sauce
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until bubbling