Whatever the weather, I just love a one pot sausage casserole. This one is tangy with lemon juice so is very content sitting beside a salad on a warm day or with some warm crusty bread on a cold night. You can really use any veg you want and particularly anything that needs using up.
- 1 white onion
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp stock powder or one stock cube
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 carrots
- stalk of broccoli
- 10 small new potatoes
- 4 vegan sausages cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 handfuls kale
- half A tin of sweetcorn
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Chop and fry the onion for 3 minutes in the oil then stir in the flour and cook for a further 1 minute
- Add the water and stir quickly to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the stock and bring up to the boil, reduce the heat to its lowest
- Add the chopped celery, carrots and the stalk (light green part of the broccoli)
- Chop the potatoes into quarters and add these to the pan along with the chopped sausages and cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes
- Add more water if necessary
- Add the rest of the broccoli cut into florets and kale and cook for 5 minutes
- Right at the last minute add the sweetcorn, lemon juice and salt and pepper
Depending on how much of a lemon fan you are, a whole lemon may be too much so just add half and taste. I’m often known to add even extra to my portion, I just love the way it cuts through the richness of the veg and sausages. I use Linda McCartney or Quorn Cumberland vegan sausages for this dish. Both are frozen so I defrost them for 15 minutes while preparing the veg so they are easier to chop. You can’t beat a bowl of all this goodness on a cold (or warm) day to make you feel good.