A really simple recipe to kick off day two of a recipe a day in celebration of National Vegetarian Week. I am a huge fan of the humble tomato and I make this ALL the time and grab my own portion quick before the kids wolf it down.
It is important to use good quality vine cherry tomatoes which are readily available all year but at their best and most affordable in the spring/summer. The ingredients make enough for a side dish for 4 but you can serve it with pretty much anything so make extra! I love it on the side of a spicy curry with popadoms, as part of a salad, with mexican rice, on toast with avocado…the list is endless.
325g cherry vine tomatoes
shake of salt
half a red onion
handful of coriander
dash of vinegar
juice of one lime
- Firstly slice the tomatoes in quarters or smaller
- Place in a sieve and add the salt
- This method removes a lot of water, don’t be afraid to add a good shake as most of it will drain away with the water
- Let the tomatoes sit draining in the sieve for at least 10 minutes
- Meanwhile chop the red onion in very small pieces and add to a bowl
- Add the chopped coriander, lime juice and vinegar and finally the tomatoes
- Taste to check seasoning and add more salt if necessary
I know it sounds like the use of a lot of salt but tomatoes love salt!