For years as a veggie, my go-to house party/BBQ contribution was always potato salad. I have to say, it was pretty good. Creamy Hellman’s mayo with squashed up baby potatoes, chives and salt and pepper. Simple as that but it was so good.
Since becoming Vegan, I took a while to summon up the bravery to veganise this classic salad dish as the vegan mayo on the market was what I can only describe as metallic and lacked any resemblance of creaminess. I’ve tried a few brands and some are better than others, but the mighty Hellman’s has come up with the winning vegan mayo recipe. The mayo tastes just like the egg based alternative, and that comes from many regular mayo eaters.
My recipe has evolved somewhat now and instead of squashing the potatoes, I like to keep the texture and added some extras to make it even more glorious.
So fear not, party planners, I’m back and coming to an event near you soon armed with a salad no-one will suspect is vegan!
- 500g Baby new potatoes
- 5 tbsp Hellman’s Vegan Mayo
- 3 gherkins chopped finely
- 3 shallots chopped finely
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- handful of fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- slice the potatoes finely and boil in salted water for 7 minutes
- mix the remaining ingredients together
- drain and refresh the potatoes with cold water and add to the bowl
- chill for at least 30 minutes
The potato salad will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.